With the seasons changing, it’s the perfect time of year to brush up on our skincare knowledge, specifically the often-confusing exfoliation process. Gentle daily exfoliating is the vital step in our skin care regime. It’s one step that’s vastly overlooked, but one that will grant you the petal-soft, glowing skin you’ve always wanted. Just think of it as throwing out the old and welcoming the new. Once you uncover plump, new skin cells your skin will be dying to absorb moisturizer more readily. Here’s the breakdown on how the exfoliation process works and how you can do it yourself right in your own bathroom!
First, determine your skin type:
- If you have normal skin, you can use a gentle exfoliator daily.
- If you have oily skin, exfoliate four times per week.
- If you have dry skin, exfoliate once per week
- If you have combination skin, exfoliate four or five time per week.
- If you have sensitive skin, exfoliate only once or twice (at most) per week.
How-to exfoliate properly:
- Regardless of when you exfoliate, you will have to perform it more in the summer than in the winter. In the summer skin is sweaty, which causes dead skin cells to stick around.
- Exfoliation can be done each morning, even in the shower! You don’t need to scrub endlessly – a good rule of thumb is to spend the same amount of time that you would cleanse your face. Keep the water temperature lukewarm –scalding water will contribute to dryness.
- Men naturally exfoliate their faces every time they shave. This rids their face of dead or dry skin cells and keeps their skin younger-looking for longer.
- After you exfoliate ALWAYS follow with a moisturizer.
Products to try out!
-Noxzema Clean Blemish Control Daily Scrub- $4.50
-Clinique Exfoliating Scrub- $18.50
-St. Ives Apricot Scrub- $4
-DERMAdoctor KP Duty Body Scrub- $44